Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Prestige

The Prestige is a movie I saw in the theater, and now that it has been released on DVD, I have seen it a second time. I purchased it the other day at Wal-Mart and viewed it. I had no expectations when I saw it in the theater, I read nothing about it and I was impressed and wanted to see it again. My wife also liked this movie. The second viewing is different in the fact that I know what's going to happen so I was looking for items and parts I missed the first time around. The focus changes because I know what's going to happen.

When I first saw this film, I was very involved and guessing at what was happening. I was very "into it." It captures you and tells quite a good story, in my opinion. I had no idea about any of the twists involved, which would probably have spoiled everything. In fact, I didn't even know to look for them. The whole movie is a magic trick that you don't even realize is being performed before your eyes. "Watch closely," as the magician would say.

This is a movie about two magicians in Victorian times who are feuding each other and are very obsessive. This takes place in London, England. The look and feel is good and interesting. There are many themes and metaphors throughout. You even get David Bowie playing the inventor Tesla. You can't really corner this into any certain genre, but it could possibly be a thriller?

My only gripe is that the ending is in no way satisfying. You walk away and feel "What? that's how it ends?" There is very happy music immediately with the credits though. Hmm.

You get actors Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, and Michael Cain for actors (woah!) and it's directed by Christopher Nolan (Momento, Batman Begins).

I don't want to spoil anything. Go out and rent it or something.

1 comment:

tryDyingToLive said...

Also an excellent movie about magicians is the Illusionist. So good.