Monday, January 8, 2007

New X-Men Omnibus


I read this monstrosity of a comic collection, coming in at 1096 pages and I have to say that this is an excellent collection. Spanning 42 issues, Grant Morrison has written one of the best runs on comics I have ever read. The writing is superb and anyone can pick this up and read it, you don't have to have been a fan at all. It includes all the regular issues, an annual, Grant Morrison's initial proposal, and other artwork. In hardcover form and coming in at $62 on Amazon, this is a steal. I have one complaint to file though. Sometimes the art is atrocious. Frank Quietly is alright and is fine most of the time, but the inking is plain bad in many issues. There are many artists throughout this run of 3 1/2 years and I wonder why Marvel didn't put a good artist on for the long run. X-Men is Marvel's bread and butter, their most popular franchise today. In a visual medium, I thought much better could have been done. I don't buy the explanation of the first vilain so much, but hey, it's good stuff. Everything is leading up to something and even when I thought there were side stories, it all was brought back to add up in the end. I have to say that this is a MUST HAVE for anyone. This makes me want to read more of Grant Morrison's work.

2 comments:

tryDyingToLive said...

Good to have you back again and posting. I've been doing my own reading but non of it is as colourful. BTW word of the year plutoed. Its along the lines of nerfed.

Justin said...

Such an awkward word.. hmm.. I bought Super Scrabble in Chicago. Now featuring a bigger board, more letters, and 4x word and letter scores.

For some reason I am still trying to get tickets to Mexico setup. :P

So, black or white DS lite?